Monday, January 1, 2018

Movie Review: The Greatest Showman


The Greatest Showman is a musical that is loosely about P.T. Barnum's life.  The story line is somewhat fictional.  I looked up Zack Ephron's character, Carlisle.  Apparently, he never existed.  However, most of the story was true.  I am not sure where Bailey comes in.  At the end of the movie, Barnum rebuilds.  There is no mention of a partner other than Carlisle.
P.T. Barnum fell in love with a wealthy girl and married her when he had nothing.  Through some conniving, he managed to get a loan and the circus was born.  The freaks didn't have much in terms of equality or job offers back in the 1800's, so the circus at least provided a family and a paycheck.  Barnum also gets a main act, Jenny Lind.  The singer almost takes Barnum away from his lovely wife, Michelle Williams, and lovely daughters while also losing him gobs of money when she walked off of the tour.  
My Review:
I loved the music and dancing in this movie.  Zack Ephron and Zaya have an especially original number in which they swing off of a trapeze rope during a love song.  Hugh Jackman once again proves that he is the greatest showman in singing, acting, and dancing.  The freaks were three dimensional and at times made me tear up.  I felt sorry for the way they were treated.  They sort of reminded me of the freaks in American Horror Story Circus season.  The bearded lady was one heck of a singer.  Overall, this was a beautiful movie that needs to be seen on the big screen.  I highly recommend it for everyone.  5/5 Stars.

No comments:

Review of Universal Studios and Fright Night

Last October, I went to Universal Studios (Hollywood) and Fright Night with my two young adult daughters. Below is a summary and review of t...